Let’s start off by figuring out what exactly ISO 14001:2015 is.
ISO 14001 is an international standard that sets out the requirements for an Environmental Management System (EMS). It basically lays out a framework for managing an organisation’s environmental impact. Imagine it as a manual for organisations to use as they take steps to become environmentally aware and reduce their footprint on the environment.
There are many reasons why ISO 14001:2015 is important. In today’s time, the environment in which we live is susceptible to many challenges like resource depletion, pollution, and climate change. ISO 14001:2015 is created to solve these problems by assisting organisations in being more aware of their impact on the environment and motivating them to take action to reduce harm.
So, how does ISO 14001:2015 work?
To develop a successful Environmental Management System, ISO 14001:2015 guides organisations through several procedures. With the support of this system, organisations can identify their environmental footprints (such as energy use, waste production, and emissions) and create goals and benchmarks to improve their environmental performance.
ISO 14001:2015 is based on the Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA) cycle. The PDCA cycle is a continuous improvement process that helps organisations to identify their environmental objectives, develop plans to achieve those objectives, implement those plans, monitor, and measure their progress, and take corrective action as needed.
There are ten clauses of which seven are the requirements of ISO 14001:2015:
- Normative References
- Terms and Definitions
- Context of the organization
- Performance Evaluation
Each clause sets out specific requirements that organisations are required to meet to become certified to ISO 14001:2015.
What are the benefits of implementing ISO 14001:2015?
Implementing ISO 14001:2015 brings a lot of benefits, not only for the environment but also for the organisation itself.
The benefits include:
- Reduced Environmental Impact: Organisations have a positive impact on the environment by reducing pollution, protecting resources, and producing less waste by identifying and managing their environmental aspects.
- Saving Financially: An environmentally friendly approach oftens lead to cost savings. For instance, saving energy and water not only benefits the environment but also reduces operating costs and expenses.
- Legal Compliance: ISO 14001:2015 supports organisations in keeping ahead of environmental laws and requirements, ensuring legal compliance, and avoiding fines or penalties.
- Enhanced Reputation: Demonstrating environmental responsibility with ISO 14001:2015 certification helps to improve the image of an organisation and attract environmentally aware clients, partners, and investors.
- Market Opportunities: ISO 14001:2015 opens doors to new market opportunities and strengthens existing relationships.
- Risk management: ISO 14001:2015 places an emphasis on risk-based thinking, which helps organisations to recognise and manage environmental hazards. Organisations reduce the likelihood of incidents that could harm the environment or their operations by creating effective safety measures and mitigation procedures.
- Continuous Improvement: ISO 14001:2015 promotes a culture of ongoing development. Organisations frequently evaluate their environmental performance, identify areas for improvement, and implement corrective actions. As a result, environmental management systems and performance continue to advance, ensuring long-term sustainability.
ISO 14001:2015 is not just for organisations; individuals can also make a difference.
Here are some ways you can contribute:
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: Cut back on waste, reuse items, and recycle materials where you can engage in ethical consumption.
- Be Conscious of Your Actions: Make good decisions. Try to consume responsibly, reduce waste, and save resources on a daily basis.
- Conserve Resources: Resources could be saved by choosing energy-efficient appliances, turning off lights when not in use, and repairing leaks while using water sparingly.
- Support Sustainable Products: Choose products that are energy-efficient, environmentally friendly, and made of recycled or renewable materials to support sustainable manufacturing.
- Spread Awareness: Sharing knowledge will motivate others to act. Inform friends, family, and coworkers about ISO 14001:2015 and environmental issues.
Organisations can achieve a wide range of benefits and rewards by implementing ISO 14001:2015, including higher environmental performance, cost savings, compliance with legislation, enhanced reputation, and stakeholder confidence. The Standard makes it possible for businesses to operate safely, reduce hazards, and improve both the environment and society.
WWISE provides a turnkey solution that includes templates, 1-on-1 coaching, on-the-job training, and mentorship in ISO 14001:2015.
As a consulting firm, we do not provide certification services. However, we will guide you through the certification process and ensure that your business attains certification.
Speak to a WWISE ISO expert for the full lowdown on this internationally recognised Standard. Contact us at 08610 99473 (Head Office) | (021) 525 9159 (Cape Town) or click here www.wwise.co.za for more information. Alternatively send us an email at email@example.com.